Your commercial carpets work hard for your business. Over time, though, dirt and grime accumulate in the fibers, decreasing the carpet’s beauty and functionality.
Dirty carpets can’t trap material that comes in on peoples’ shoes, which means more debris winds up on your floor. Studies have also shown that irritants like pollen and dust build up in carpets and can cause allergic reactions and other health problems.
Fortunately, reclaiming your floors is as easy as learning how to clean commercial carpet and selecting the right company to do it for you.
Here at ServiceMaster of Lake Shore, we specialize in helping companies in Chicago and the suburbs access the commercial carpet cleaning services they need to keep their businesses beautiful and protect the investment they’ve made in their carpets.
In this post, we’re sharing our top tips for how to clean commercial carpet to extend its lifespan and avoid excess dirt and grime.
Let’s dive in.
What is the Best Commercial Carpet Cleaning Solution?
When you start researching commercial carpet cleaning, you’ll find that there are dozens of different methods out there. But which one is most effective? And which is the best fit for your business?
Here’s a breakdown of the most common:
Dry Carpet Cleaning
Dry carpet cleaning uses a carpet cleaning solution made up of special polymers, which work like tiny sponges to capture soil and debris in the carpet. Once applied to the carpet, the solution dries rapidly, forming hard crystals that the carpet cleaner can vacuum up.
This is an excellent option for “touch-ups” between hot water extraction cleaning sessions.
How to do Dry Carpet Cleaning
This method is popular for both commercial carpets and upholstery. Here’s how to do it:
- Pre-vacuum the carpet to loosen surface debris.
- Dilute a dry carpet cleaning solution at 4 ounces per gallon of water. Test a small portion of carpet for colorfastness.
- Using a dry foam cleaning machine, apply the foaming detergent.
- Groom the carpet with included brushes.
- Set up fans in the room to dry the area.
- Once the carpet is dry, vacuum it again to remove the crystallized detergent and soil.
Hot Water Extraction Cleaning
Hot water extraction cleaning is the gold standard in commercial carpet cleaning and the very best option. Ideal for large offices or heavy traffic areas where the carpet is very soiled, hot water extraction uses a powerful machine to heat water and inject it (along with a carpet cleaning solution) into your carpets.
This mixture loosens dirt and lifts stains from carpet fibers. Next, the cleaning tech uses a powerful suction machine to pull the water mixture out of the carpet, removing dirt, soil, and moisture all at once. The carpets dry quickly and look beautiful.
Plus, it’s gentle enough for even delicate carpet fibers.
If you have hard-to-reach areas, most carpet cleaning companies also offer portable hot water extraction. This method works exactly like truck-mounted hot water extraction, except that it has a longer range and can reach further into your building.
How to do Hot Water Extraction Cleaning
Successful hot water extraction consists of four parts: time, agitation, chemical, and temperature.
Here’s how to do it:
- Vacuum the floor to remove surface debris.
- Pre-treat the carpet with a cleaning solution designed for commercial carpets. Nylon carpets will need a solution with a pH of 10 or less, while polypropylene will need a formula designed specifically for that material.
- Agitate the pre-treated area with a brush to penetrate the fibers. Allow at least 10-20 minutes for the solution to sink in and attract embedded soil.
- Extract the area with a mixture of hot water and alkaline detergent.
- Allow the area to dry completely before resuming traffic.
How Often Should Commercial Carpets be Cleaned?
The answer to this question depends on where the carpet is and what level of traffic it experiences.
Here are a few guidelines for how frequently to have your carpets professionally cleaned:
- Heavy traffic areas: 1-2 times a month
- Moderate traffic areas: 2-4 times per year
- Light traffic areas: 2 times per year
Besides having your carpets cleaned regularly, you should also maintain your commercial carpets with daily vacuuming and spot-cleaning, as needed.
Why Hire a Professional?
Hiring professional carpet cleaning services for your business serves several essential purposes:
Besides enhancing the appearance of your carpet (who wants to look at dirty, dingy entry carpet in a business?), professional carpet cleaning helps your company make a great first impression.
It also keeps your office carpeting in good condition, extends the lifespan of this costly asset, and helps improve indoor air quality by reducing allergens.
How to Choose a Commercial Carpet Cleaning Company
While it’s important to choose how your carpets are cleaned, it’s also important to be careful when deciding who cleans them.
Although carpet cleaning may seem like a straightforward service, hiring a cut-rate company or someone who isn’t a professional can result in significant and long-lasting damage to your carpets.
With that in mind, look for these things in any carpet cleaning company you hire:
- Experience in the industry
- Full service (pre-vacuuming, spot cleaning, etc.)
- Technicians who are fully trained, licensed and insured and certified
- State-of-the-art equipment and cleaning methods
- A background of positive customer reviews
- The willingness to offer a free quote
While it can be intimidating to establish a new relationship with a carpet cleaning company, making sure these things are present is a great way to choose a reliable provider.
Looking for a Commercial Carpet Cleaning Service in Chicago, IL, or Suburbs? We’re Here to Help!
Here at ServiceMaster of Lake Shore, we know that your commercial carpets make a statement about your business. Our team of professional carpet cleaning experts will go above and beyond to provide the customized carpet-safe cleaning services you need to restore your space and protect your investment.
Ready to learn more? Contact us today to request your free quote or book your commercial carpet cleaning service.