Sewage Backup Cleanup Services Chicago IL & Suburbs
A sewer backup at your home or business quickly spreads dangerous contaminants across floors and carpets. Category 3 black water wicks into drywall and soaks deep into structural materials. It creates a hazardous environment that can impact the health of everyone on the property.
You need certified sewage removal technicians on the scene immediately. ServiceMaster of Lake Shore stands ready to respond with advanced sewage cleanup services for residents in Chicago, IL and its suburbs.
When you need emergency sewage cleanup in your Chicago home or business, call ServiceMaster of Lake Shore right away: 312-707-8597
Our Professional Chicago Sewage Cleanup Services
Handling sewage backup is a delicate process, and it requires experience and skill. As a full-service restoration company, we don’t stop at removing sewage. Instead, our local team provides a comprehensive suite of services to restore your property to livable condition.
These are just a few of the sewage backup problems we tackle and solve:
- Sewage sludge removal from toilet overflows, pipe backups, and more
- Sewer line backups in basements
- Black water removal
- Leaking sewage in crawl spaces
- Sewage contamination from storm floodwater
- Sewage flooding caused by clogged drains or pipes
- Professional disinfection and sanitization services
- Flooring and fixture drying
- Emergency sewage cleanup
- Category 3 black water contamination
Don’t tackle sewage cleanup on your own. Let the experts at ServiceMaster of Lake Shore deal with it: 312-707-8597
The Benefits of Our Sewage Cleanup Services:
We Eliminate Contamination
We rigorously adhere to all CDC, EPA and OSHA biohazard cleanup standards. Our industry-certified teams use state-of-the-art equipment and advanced techniques to eliminate viral and bacterial contamination from all affected areas. Our cleaning process restores your property’s interior health from floor to ceiling.
We Help With Insurance Claims
Most sewage backup damage is covered by homeowners or business insurance. We regularly work with local and national agencies, so we understand how to navigate complicated paperwork. Our staff takes the headache out of filing sewage damage claims
We’re Here 24/7
When you need sewage removal, you don’t have time to wait. We’re here 24/7 ready to answer your call and immediately dispatch our teams. Highly trained technicians quickly arrive at your home or business ready to take care of dangerous sewer backups.
What to do After a Sewage Spill at your Chicago Property
After a sewage spill, you must act quickly to avoid irreparable damage to your home. If sewage is present, the first step is always to call a full-service restoration company like ServiceMaster of Lake Shore.
Once you’ve contacted a restoration company, contact your local utility company to have them shut off the gas and electricity to your home. Avoid all electrical fuse boxes or appliances in the flooded area.
Do not enter the area until the restoration team has finished cleaning, sanitizing, and drying the space. Keep children and pets away from the flooded area. Open windows and turn on household fans to promote ventilation and reduce the presence of sewage gas. If you can, leave the building while cleaning takes place.
Any clothing, bedding, foods, or furniture that came into contact with category 2 or 3 water should be discarded. Depending on the extent of the flooding, textiles that came into contact with category 1 water may be salvageable. Wash all textiles thoroughly, as soon as possible after the flooding took place. Have other affected items and areas, like walls and large furniture, professionally cleaned and sanitized by the restoration company.
Don’t let sewage sit – call now and prevent further damage: 312-707-8597
Our 7 Step Sewer Backup Cleanup Process
Whether it’s a toilet overflow upstairs or a sewer backup in the basement, all affected areas pose a serious hazard to your health. Black water contains dangerous pathogens such as viruses and bacteria. The contaminants in sewage include organic matter, fungi and parasites.
We provide an emergency response to all types of sewage backups and overflows. When you call our Chicago headquarters, we immediately dispatch our highly trained technicians. Our teams arrive at your door fully prepared for each step of sewage removal, cleanup and restoration.
1. Sewage Cleanup – our initial extraction process removes raw sewage, excess water and contaminated debris.
2. Source ID – We identify the sewage source, fix the problem and call in for backup repairs if needed.
3. Tear-Out and Disposal – Cleanup includes tearing out and disposing of sewage-damaged materials.
4. Structural Drying – We take care of structural drying with heavy-duty fans, air scrubbers and dehumidifiers.
5. Thorough Disinfecting – Our technicians eliminate pathogens using bactericides and EPA-registered disinfectants.
6. Advanced Deodorizing – We eliminate foul odors property-wide with specialized deodorizing products and equipment.
7. Complete Restoration – Our sewage removal services include full restoration of your property to its original condition.
Let us put more than 20 years of experience to work for you. We’re just a phone call away: 312-707-8597
The Dangers of Sewage Backup
Sewage backup is much more than just a gross situation. It can also be dangerous. If left unattended, sewage backup can ruin walls, flooring, and other building materials. It can also cause serious illness or death for people in the home.
Sewage contains a variety of dangerous physical contaminants, bacteria, and airborne pathogens.
These include the following:
- E. coli
- And more
Contrary to popular belief, sewage backup can make you sick even if you don’t touch it directly. Since sewage backup releases gasses and other air-borne contaminants, simply spending time in a house that has sewage backup somewhere inside it can cause vomiting, cramping, upper respiratory distress, fever, gastroenteritis, and other severe illness.
Finally, sewage contamination can cause extreme damage to your home, requiring costly repairs or, in severe cases, complete rebuilds to remove and replace ruined building materials like flooring, drywall, carpets and pads, and more.
The Three Types of Contaminated Water
Category 1: “Clean Water”
Category 1 water comes from a “clean” water source, like water supply lines or leaky faucets. If left untreated, this water can become category 2 or 3 water, depending on its ability to make contact with surrounding contaminants, and the duration of the leak. While category 1 water can damage your Chicago home and its building materials, this “clean” water doesn’t present an immediate health threat.
Category 2: “Gray Water”
Category 2 water is contaminated and can cause illness. Examples of category 2 water include dishwasher or washing machine overflow or toilet overflow with urine (but no feces) present. This water contains viruses and bacteria and can quickly degrade into category 3 water.
Category 3: “Black Water”
Category 3 water is the most dangerous kind of flood water. Grossly contaminated, it can cause serious illness and complications. Contact should be avoided at all costs. Examples of category 3 water include standing water with microbial growth, water from beyond a toilet trap, flooding from streams and rivers, water from the toilet bowl that contains feces, and untreated sewage.
Why Work with a Professional Sewage Cleanup Service in Chicago, IL?
If you’ve experienced sewage backup in your home, you may be tempted to handle it on your own. After all – how hard could it be?
No matter what, though, we recommend that you do not handle your own sewage backup cleanup.
Here are a few important reasons:
- Safety. Sewage is a highly toxic material that contains a variety of biohazards and bacterial threats. If you encounter sewage without the proper protection, you can become seriously ill or spread illness to others. When you hire a licensed sewage backup cleanup company in Chicago like ServiceMaster of Lake Shore, the team will have the right gear and equipment to clean up the mess without risking exposure.
- Timeline. Nobody wants to live with a sewage spill for a second longer than they need to. Unfortunately, cleaning it up on your own will take much longer (and be much more difficult) than hiring a professional company to do it. Here at ServiceMaster of Lake Shore, we guarantee fast, prompt, efficient sewage backup cleanup to get your life back to normal.
- Underlying issues. Sewage backup usually causes other problems, including water damage, or is caused by a large, underlying issue like a burst pipe. It can be difficult to fix or identify these things on your own. The only way to know for sure that you’ve resolved them is to hire a professional.
- Restoration & Reconstruction. Finally, your home will need to be restored after a sewage backup event. Usually, you’d have to hire a separate contractor to provide these restoration services. As one of the leading sewage cleanup and restoration companies in Chicago, however, our team can provide the mitigation and property reconstruction services you need to restore your home to a sanitary, livable, like-new condition.
Get Immediate Help with Sewage Cleanup in Chicago
Taking care of sewage backup is never a DIY job. Don’t risk your health or further damage to your property. Call us right away here at ServiceMaster of Lake Shore.
Since 1996, we’ve provided industry-certified sewage backup removal services for Chicago homes and businesses. Let us put more than 20 years of experience to work for you.